Oceans and my thoughts


The song Oceans, by Hillsong United has become fairly popular. At least in our neck of the woods it has. I did hear that Selena Gomez even did a cover of the song.

I hadn't thought much about the song nor listened to it very closely until lately.  

I was in the car one day, alone, amazingly enough. I was upset about something with the kids. I don't even remember what it was now. Then Oceans came on the radio. Taya Smith sings the vocals for the song and I LOVE to have her voice rolling around in my head. so I just listened. The song correlated with my feelings. I thought I would tell you about it.

God has called me out on the waters of being a mommy. Being a mommy is full of things unknown. I fail at being a mommy. (Sometimes I actually win at being a mommy. Like when I take them for icees at Taco Bell.) But in this unknown, God is there. He's in the darkness, the unknown. We can trust Him. Moses stepped into the darkness. (Exodus 20) Peter literally stepped out onto the water. (Matthew 14:22-33) I can too. When being a mommy is too great, too hard, too confusing, too defeating, I can still call to Jesus and cry for strength and wisdom. He is there to meet me. He met with Moses and pulled Peter out of the water. 

In these deep waters of being a mommy where I fail, it seems more often that not, God gives me His grace all the more. He guides me when I have no idea what to do and even if I don't get what He says or hear it too late, He has never failed to redeem what is lost and what is ruined.  I can always call on the Lord, because I'm His child and He is my God. He isn't going to push me away. He is for me. He wants me to succeed in parenting. He is pulling for the win!  

The trusting without borders still makes me nervous to sing. What exactly does that mean?Where will He take us in this life with these kids? What if I don't like it? My heart isn't that strong. I just like everything to be ok and safe. I think that sometimes trusting without borders means I won't always be ok and safe. But God's character is only good. Bad things might happen, but He can turn it around for good. My soul is safe with Him. 

I see faith getting stronger only by constantly being in the Word and believing it, acting on it, and praying. I think that's what makes me nervous too. I want that stronger faith, but I know that sometimes when hard times come I get angry and I believe the lies in my head. I have a negative attitude. I whine and complain. So I think that stronger faith may take awhile to cultivate in my soul.

I almost willing sink into the water, probably calling for help at the last possible second . Then Jesus is there. He's works in my life by sending other moms and friends to help me. He uses songs, such as this one, for encouragement. He reminds me of His promises by using the Scripture in my Bible reading.  He reminds me who He is and that I can do this through Him. That it is actually possible to live like Him.

It's going to be a lifetime of learning how to parent. Always learning, always trusting and depending on God.

"Come unto Me, all ye who weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. "
Matthew 11:28

So there you go. There are my thoughts.

Here are the lyrics for you:
 
You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

[6x]
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

Comments

bobsblog said…
One of the girls in our praise band does this song. I love it too.

Popular Posts