The ABC's (and some links)

Here are a few letters of the ABC's that go along with adoption and some questions/statements we have received along the way.


Of course there's ESL/ELL.

"Have you had an FBA?" "Yes, that came with the IEP."

There are diagnoses of PTSD, CD, and DD.

But what about RAD and ADHD, NOS? Don't forget ADD.

What about TBRI training and TCI training? Have you been to an ETC conference and had the ETC trainings? **Umm, are those 2 separate events or the same?

"I would encourage you to make sure it's not FASD."

"What about NLD?"

"Check into EMDR therapy."

We have been to PT and another therapist or two.

I know there is an EO for that.

APD?

DHS?

How about SPD?

There is RTC too, but that's expensive.

"There is a book that you should read."  Did I say "a" book? Excuse me. What I really meant to say was "there are a 1,000 books you should read."

"You just have to 'fake it till you make it' ".  But let's face it, after awhile that's impossible to do.

The brain chemicals: serotonin and dopamine.  The neurotransmitters and memory traces. WHAT? Ok. So the brain is really AMAZING.  I love it, but I can't keep those chemicals straight.

I'll stop there*. I may have left out a few letters or sentences. HA! They all get jumbled up in my head. Sometimes they swim around and make new words.  I can't keep up with all the training. I can't read all the books. It's overwhelming to me. I have heard it said the only time you know everything about kids is BEFORE you have kids and AFTER the kids leave the nest. The time in between: you know nothing.

I know can't keep up with the triggers. I don't know why when a meltdown happens everything in the house might get turned upside down or thrown across the room. I can't keep up with what method works. I apparently don't understand therapy. Attachment to each child happens differently and at a different speed and I feel guilty because we can't relate to each child the same way, but do they think we love them less because we do something different with them?

I know that God can redeem all this mess. For us and for you. Isn't that what He does? I know that He can restore the years the locusts have eaten. He is stronger than our situation, our circumstances, our hearts. But I don't know how He does this redeeming and renewing. I don't always see how He is stronger than our situation or circumstances or hearts. But I do know He is ever-present.

I'm not really looking for you answer. Just giving you a tiny bit of insight to our lives.




*Here is a list of the what "the ABC's" stand for and a few links:

ESL/ELL - English as a Second Language/English Language Learner
FBA - Functional Behavorial Assessment
IEP - Individualized Education Plan
PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
CD - Conduct Disorder
DD - Depressive Disorder
RAD - Reactive Attachment Disorder
You probably know ADHD and ADD, the NOS is Not Otherwise Specified
TBRI - Trust Based Relational Intervention 
TCI - Therapeutic Crisis Intervention 
ETC - Empowered to Connect conferences
FASD - Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
NLD - Non-verbal Learning Disorder
EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitization  and Reprocessing Therapy - I didn't even know this was a thing!
PT - play therapy
EO - Essential Oils
APD - Auditory Processing Disorder
DHS - Department of Human Services
SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder




Comments

Popular Posts