A Silly Dilemma

Old habits die hard. For instance, school here starts 5 minutes later at 7:55. In school time that might as well be an hour. I don't know why, but 5 minutes extra seems to give you so much more time in the morning. That and the fact that we are no longer sitting on the highway having to wait an extra 10 - 15 minutes in the school car line. Right now we drive further to the new school, but we can get to the school line later and still be on time. I can't wrap my brain around that fact. This means we can sleep a little later! I'm not gonna lie - that's the great part. However, my mind is still in get up early mode and if the girls aren't dressed and ready to go by 6:50, I'm usually freaking out that they are going to be late.

Enter this morning. I decided to abide by the new rules. We woke the girls up a little later; at 6:40.  They were ready to go by 6:52. We actually had to wait 10 minutes for the muffins to finish baking. It's also a miracle that I cooked muffins and did not serve the usual cereal or pop tart (we eat super healthy around here, I'm sure you can tell). So at 7:18, Brent and kids just tra-la-la out the door on their way to school and work. Normally, if we were leaving at this time, there would much yelling at the kids to hurry it up and speed limits would have been broken. Even now, looking at the clock at 7:30, I still get a little panic in my stomach hoping they made it to school on time. Old habits.....

Chocolate Chip Muffins courtesy of Duncan Hines. 
Buy two packages, because one package only makes six muffins.

Fast forward 6 or 7 hours, time to pick up little girlies from school. Our old school ends a whole 25 minutes before the new school. The bell here rings at 2:55. A whole 25 minutes later. I don't know what to do with myself. I cannot figure out the right time to be at school. If I get to school "early" to pick up the kids, I wait 25 minutes in the car. Oh. my. word. That is an eternity. I realize I could bring a book to read while I wait, but the wait still feels like an eternity. So instead, I could get to school around 2:55 when the bell rings, that way I could avoid the 25 minute wait in the car. This brings another time problem to the table.

My body is geared up to leave to pick up little ones from school around 2:15. You know, so I can get to school to drive past the policeman or policewoman directing the traffic and turn around in someone's driveway only to pull back up to the correct turn lane and wait. Ha! But again - old habits die hard. Around 2:00 I automatically start thinking, "ok....almost time to leave". Thankfully my common sense parts come running up and remind me that I have an entire 30 minutes before leaving. Do you know how many things you can do in 30 minutes?! Hundreds! Mostly though it's telling yourself - "you are not going to be late to pick the girls. You need to calm down and if you were late, they would be fine anyways because how many times have you been late before to pick them up?  A lot".

I usually wind up getting to the school a few minutes before the bells rings. Elizabeth has stated, with great force,  that she wants to be picked up early because all the other kids leave before she does.  I guess she has her own dilemma to deal with......her mom.

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular Posts