An Italian Date with a Peruvian Memory

A few nights ago, we had a family date. I like to do a "photoshoot" of the kids around their birthdays. We finally got to Breanna's this week. You would have thought that after a month of waiting I would have been better prepared, but no. I decided at the last minute to go take her. I sent Brent a text and he and Elizabeth were going to come with us. Rushing around, hoping to get to town before we lost the sun light, I couldn't find one of outfits I had planned out and I didn't think about the props. We did get some good shots though.  Here's one. Not perfect. But it's one of my favorites because she's just so cute!



While Bre was playing model, Brent and Ek decided on dinner. They chose Italian. It was quite perfect. While I am not a big fan of lasagna or spaghetti, I do love fettuccine alfredo. When we walked to the restaurant, it was apparent that three of us were a little under-dressed. Breanna, who wanted to wear her dress from her pictures, fit in the scene nicely. I laughed a little to myself and asked Brent if he brought our water bottle. The last time we took the kids to an Italian restaurant we were also under-dressed. We were also in Lima and we were also carrying our own water bottle.

In Lima, we learned that a few doors down behind our hotel was a well known Italian restaurant. We visited twice. It was THE BEST Italian food I have ever eaten. It was also BYOD. Bring your own drink (if you so desired) into the restaurant. The second night we visited the restaurant was our last night in Peru. We had just rushed in from the Embassy, called Delta and changed our flight. We were scheduled to stay in Lima another week and a half, but thanks to the timeliness of our in-country reps and the mercy of the Lord, the Embassy handed us our visas on the same day! Shhhh, don't tell them I told you. It was 5:00pm and our flight was now leaving at 12:40am! We bathed the kids and dressed them in travel clothes. We tossed/crammed five people's belongings into any suitcase that had space then hauled tail (and water bottle) to the restaurant. We must have been a sight! Trust me; two very American, white adults walking around a foreign country with three brown children is ALWAYS a sight.

We sat across from a man and his son. The man was in a tux and the boy was in a suit. I can only assume the father was teaching his son how to be a gentleman and preparing him for future dates. We ordered ravioli and fettuccine and drank our water from the liter bottle we carried in with us. We must have eaten and paid our bill in rapid time because the next thing I remember is sitting in the airport! Just like our entire time in Peru, the whole evening was a whirlwind.

~ Our Italian restaurant in Peru ~


I feel as though this post has ended. I will leave you with a few details from our family date to our new favorite Italian restaurant. They played three of my favorite songs in a row. (Funny thing, one song was the song we used on our adoption blog and the song that was played by a live pianist while Brent and I were waiting in the Atlanta airport for our plane to leave on the way to Peru.) Breanna said the prayer when our food arrived. It began like this, "Dear Jesus, thank You for this yummy looking food in front of me. I want to stuff my face in it...." I have no idea how she ended her prayer because I was too busy laughing hysterically.







Comments

Popular Posts