Christmas Update from Brent


This is what happens when I get around to putting our heart and soul down in words. I have no idea how they’ll be received. (OK, maybe a slight idea.) There’s always a risk involved in putting yourself out there. There’s always the concern that all the “clarity” was only in our mind. The space between writing and reception is a breeding ground for all sorts of fears: rejection, misunderstanding, confusion, or correction. Marianne and I received an email update this week from a friend who has just transitioned to the mission field a few short weeks ago. Her email was raw, sincere, and a bit sad as she talked of her struggles this holiday season. I have been planning to write an update before the end of the year, but her email gave me the push to begin to try to put into words the emotions and feelings that have been present for us in recent weeks as well. I want to be as honest I can be, without whining or complaining. December was an incredibly trying month for so many reasons. 

We had major plumbing issues 3 different times, including leak inside the girls bathroom wall, and having to have all of the pipes outside redone completely. It was a complete nightmare to have no water for nearly a week. 



Once the water situation was repaired, the city power decided not to work for nearly 11 days. It would come on for a couple of hours a day if we were lucky. Most of the time that would not be a big deal because we have solar backup power. However, we discovered that our solar batteries were bad and would not hold a charge. We had to replace 8 batteries at $350 each plus installation for a whopping $3200 the week before Christmas.


I’m not gonna lie, I was a bit frustrated because of the timing and cost, but it turned out to be an amazing time of celebration and worship around the campfire. God also used some amazing pastor friends and their churches to provide financially to replace the batteries.


During this crazy month, Vernon, the HVG founder, and Justin, our COO, joined us in Arua for a week full of ministry and meetings. It was great to hear their heart from the team Stateside and continue to iron out the ministry projects here in Uganda. My butt was tired from all the sittingand my brain was tired because Vernon is way too smart and uses words the ole Alabama redneck has never heard before.



While they were here, we were able to distribute some water filters to our community and visit the first place we plan to build a home in a nearby village.





We also had a special time of prayer with Pastor Jackson. He helped care for our students when they were in South Sudan. He came to Arua, to receive some medical help that he desperately needed. HVG was able to care for him the way he had cared for so many of our students growing up. 


After their time with us, I flew down from Arua down to Entebbe in a tiny plane with Vernon and Justin. They were head back to the States and I had an appointment at Interpol to work on my work visa.


I was able to get everything done in a few days, but while I was away the car broke down on Marianne. Due to the roads we travel, and the potholes we attempt to avoid, the cars take a beating, and the frames are not intended to take that kind of torture. It turned out to be the first of three different car issues for the month. 


So if you combine all of the added frustrations, costs, and delays from the house, and car, and you throw in sadness from the holidays missing family and friends, you can fall into a pity party really fast. Elizabeth has had a difficult time missing America and her friends. 


I share these things with you, not so that you feel sorry for us, but for you to continue to pray for us. We face difficult days just like each one of you do. I know there are friends going through things that are so much more difficult than our circumstances. Some of you just went through the holidays without someone you love for the first time. Some are facing sicknesses that no one even knows about yet. I think of a missionary friend that fell on Christmas Eve and broke his hip. He could not get off of the bed, we loaded him onto a backboard, carried him to the car, and all over town to get X-rays, in order to be med-flighted to Kenya on Christmas day. It was like living Mark 2:1-12 in real life. Some of our teammates whose family are on 4 different continents right now and have had medical emergency after medical emergency.  The common thread that I know, as well as the friends I have mentioned, is that God continues to be faithful. 

So here are some things to continue to give Him the praise that only He deserves. The people we get to share our lives with both in Uganda and in America, continue to shape who we are every single day. Here is a picture of the HVG Uganda staff, minus Wendy. she is home for shoulder surgery and kids surgeries in the states.




The Arise Ministry Center is one of my favorite places in the world. The Lord has blessed us with an amazing facility that will continue to be a pillar in the community for many generations to come. We hosted Christmas celebrations all month long.


The families of all the workers gathered for an amazing meal together.


This is Isaac Gale, He is one of the guys that lives at our house. His laugh is loud and contagious. He was playing with Titus, one of the children at the party. As they were walking back to the main hall, Titus fell asleep, and Gale sat down in the shade and let him sleep, so that his mom could enjoy the party. He represents the desire to serve anyway needed, that is present in so many of the amazing students we get to do life with. 




Photo timing was perfect as Yosa caught the ballon and it busted. 


We played games and music, and ate wonderful food. 

In one of those moments of focusing on myself and my problems, one of my best friends sent me this message, " Honestly I have been selfish and going through the motions when I do read. However, this morning, the Lord broke me once again. Oh how I love the mercies of Jesus. How He continuously shepherds me in the midst of my wandering. I am so thankful for the love of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. The Lord reminded me of a passage as I was praying for His glory to be on display in my life.

Psalm 29:2 “Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness.”

Bro, I turned there and started reading the whole chapter. I began to weep and am still weeping. “The voice of the Lord” is the continual theme in this chapter. It has shaken me this morning. I just needed to share with you. 


I am praying for you and your family this morning. I am praying for strength as you continue to pour out your life in Uganda. I am praying for the voice of the Lord to be your encouragement. I love you brother and am so thankful for your friendship and your mentorship in my life!


I am going to share with you my prayer this morning as I typed it out while I was praying." it challenged me to consider the same in my life.


"Lord, forgive me as I have prayed for the world to see You in me, yet I have failed to to pursue you with all of my being. How can the world see You in me if I am not seeking you? 

Forgive me as I have failed You, my family and my church. I am not who You have fully called me to be. Help me to surrender all that I am to you. My thoughts, my time, my finances…all of it. It belongs to You oh Lord! Forgive me as I have prayed lately for my selfish desires. I have prayed with a heart that is seeking of my happiness and not of your holiness. Lord, I have prayed to receive things for me instead of just praying to receive more of You! God, please continuously remind me when I am praying selfishly and may I repent immediately when you convict my heart. God may I live my days for Your Glory on this earth. But before this world can be changed, I have to be willing to be changed. So, refine me, mold me, make me God into whatever You desire. I am Yours. All of me. I fully surrender all that I am to You in this moment. And when I forget, remind me of this prayer, that I am Yours!"


So that is the difficult thing for me. I want you to know what is going on in our world, and how you can pray.

2022 prayer requests:

                                 1. Students will begin school in January, many for the first time in 2 years.

                                 2. Monthly support to continue.

                                 3. Work visa and dependent passes are still not finalized

                                 4. Provision for new ministry vehicle.


Thank you for your support and prayers for us, our students and HVG. Thank you for your generosity to support the work the Lord has called us to. Even during the difficult days, we know that we can trust the One who is in charge. We love you all and are so thankful for each one of you.


God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Brent



Comments

Bonnie Nichols said…
Never be scared to say what you feel! We all do that and if we are listening, it tells us better how to pray for you. When Marianne posted the bathroom picture, I was once again convicted that God was absolutely correct in giving me the gift of hospitality, not missions. Thank you for the update.
Hollis said…
Thanks for the update. We will continue to pray for you. You all are doing great work. I think about you often.
Unknown said…
Brent, Thank you for sharing your heart. We know it is hard but hearing you share the ups and downs helps us pray for you all. We love and miss you all.
Tina

Popular Posts