Enough

 
I've seen Moms' Night Out twice. Once with Brent and the kids - on Mother's Day. Once, just and my mom. Both times I've laughed my face off and sucked back the tears.

She's right, you know. Or "they" are, maybe. I don't know, whoever wrote the script, they're right.

At the end of the day no matter what we've done, no matter how bad we've been, we all want to know: am I enough? Are you gonna love me? At the end of the day, we can't pretend to be someone else. We want to know, am I enough that I can be just me and no one else? I can't even pretend to be the person your expectations want me to be, but will you love me anyway? I want to know that you love me, no matter what happens or what I do.

The "you" in the sentence could be a spouse, a parent, a child, God, a friend, anyone. You can fill in the blank.

This perspective makes me want to put my kids to bed differently. In world that is going crazy, they need to know that they are loved. I'd say (from personal experience) that they need to know this love more so on the bad days, than the good days.

This is not to make up from the past, but to give them a foundation for the future. I mean, life doesn't exactly get easier as you get older. I though high school was hard, HA! This adult/parent/wife thing takes the cake and the topper!

I started a new study by Angela Thomas called Do You Think I'm Beautiful? Answering the question every woman asks. I felt weird checking out at Lifeway when I bought it. I wonder what cashier's think of what I purchase sometimes. Then I remember they see hundreds of people a day and have a zillion tasks at work to do, so I'm remind myself that they aren't going to remember me and my purchase 10 second after I walk away and I feel better.

Anyway, this is the hardest study. On week 2, it took me 15 days to get up the nerve to do the next day's study!

Week one, day one: you write your story - starting with kid years and middle school/high school years, because all of that affects your view of beauty and being/feeling beautiful. In the next weeks and days, she talks about femininity, does God think you're beautiful, your past (eek!), falling in love, affirmation of who you are, etc. (I haven't finished it yet)

To me, her study focus' on you being enough. Your personality, gifts, and traits are how He designed you. It delighted God to make you. It pleased Him for you to be born. Just the way you are. He likes you. :) He wants to be your friend…...cause He likes you. :)  That's enough.  Just being who God made you. You don't have to be more than who He made you. Besides, He already knows when you're trying to be someone else!

Yes, He sent Jesus to pay for the sin, which is why we can come to God and ask for His forgiveness on those terrible, horrible, no good, really bad days when it seems like our sinful actions are going to over take us. He is still going to love you no matter what you've done. His mercy does not end. (Thank You, Jesus!)

He does love you. He made us to love others and to love Him. He made us to be loved by Him and to be loved by others.

So to answer the top question, at the end of the day, you are enough because it pleased God to make you. I want my kids to learn that too. That at the end of the day, they are loved for who they are by me and by God.





Comments

Unknown said…
Love it!!!
Shelia
www.houseofhighlands.com
Marianne said…
Thanks Bob and Shelia!

Popular Posts