Patricia and her Miracle Baby

 Patricia’s story as told by Anna H. 

 

Patricia’s story is simply a miracle. When Myrte and I arrived on duty at the hospital, we saw a young girl in labor. No one was paying attention to her. She was crying, panicking, and in great pain. I sat next to her and I asked her if she wanted me to pray. She said yes, so I did. 

 

The communication was difficult because Patricia’s English was not very good. Myrte and I thought we would start with a routine check. We heard the heartbeat of the baby and Patricia was already 6 cm dilated, but we noticed that her belly was a bit small. We checked her file and there we saw in big letters, ‘late abortion’

 

Myrte and I looked at each other, silent questions racing between us. Someone had already decided that this baby was dead, but we knew we heard a heartbeat! We decided we would treat the case as if the baby was alive. The baby was premature (33 weeks) and the head is smaller at that time. We knew that Patricia could start pushing earlier than 10 cm dilatation. 

 

We rushed to get our supplies ready for the delivery and a resuscitation. Patricia started pushing and a beautiful baby boy was born. The baby was perfectly healthy! He was even crying. But because he was premature, I took him straight to the NICU. I checked his vitals, they were perfect! The baby boy was given vitamin K and medication for energy and for the lungs.  I placed him in the incubator to keep warm until Patricia was ready to come get him.

 

I took a picture of the baby to show to our newest mom. I showed her the picture as soon as I arrived back in the labor ward. I saw the biggest smile on her face. She cried because she was so happy. We helped her clean up and got her on a bed to rest. She could go visit the baby when she was strong enough to walk. The next few days we would go and check on the baby in the NICU and we would find Patricia there, completely in love with her baby boy. 




 

 

Comments

Popular Posts