An Experience

When we returned from Peru we talked to some friends and family and lot of people suggested different programs for us to try for some help.....with everything from school supplies, to food, to counseling, to clothes, to Medicaid, you name it. So after some thought I called a few places.

We were not eligible for Medicaid because you have to have social security number and you have to be US citizen for 5 years before you can be approved for Medicaid and All Kids. I'm not sure why they require 5 years, I guess they figure you've paid in enough to government by then to get it. It doesn't matter, you have to have rules. But Elizabeth was approved for WIC. The other 2 were not eligible because they were over 5 years old.

Using WIC was a very interesting experience. Let me tell you about it. At first, I just used one or vouchers at a time. I was repremanded once because I signed it without her looking.
The next time I can't remember, but I do remember the feeling each time. It always takes the cashier like 3 hours longer in the check out process because of all the buttons you have to push. I tried hard to have everything in order and ready to go, but sometimes she (all my cashiers happen to be female) just starts scanning away and then when I tell her "no, those are WIC items" a big sigh comes and (I'm sure a glare too) as she pulls the items out of the bag and punches more buttons and then rescans the items to put back in the bag.

The last time I used the WIC I used all the vouchers at the same time. So there like 4 gallons of milk, some cheese, peanut butter, eggs, bread, etc. I decided I had had it with the way they treat me when I hand them the WIC vouchers. I also wasn't in the best of moods and I decided that this time, no way.

My mom was with me, so I guess I felt more brave. But I had to go back and get the right kind of peanut butter which was labeled wrong in the store. Then I had to go back and the get the right kind of cheese. At the this is I said "for crying out loud!" Rather loudly and off I went to get the cheese. The line of people behind are growing and no one has patience. When I returned with the cheese, she had to find it all over again because she didn't pay attention to what she scanned and what was on the voucher - it's an incredibly picky process. By the time she told me I got the 16oz bread and not the 20 oz  bread I was done. I called Brent to say I might be arrested for going postal in Wal Mart. He laughed and I did too. The whole thing was hilarious. I loved it honestly.

I tried to help out the Wal Mart lady by telling her of incorrectly labled items, but she assured they were correct, even when I double checked they did not believe me. By the end of the whole ordeal, I the cashier was very nice.

It's amazing how people in line can't wait and the cashier's and salespeople can make you feel like a second class citazen (and maybe I am) all because of a a piece of paper. Sad, how we put people in "classes" based on what we see.

WIC was definately an eye opener for me.

Below: our little hoarder on the last WIC trick. She was in heaven with all the stuff in her basket. She loves to organize my groceries in the basket!



Comments

Popular Posts