A Birthday and A First Date


I turned 33 a few days ago, y'all. I wasn't sure how to handle it.  Thirty-three. It seemed so adult-ish.
I mean in my heart, I knew I was really just 23. But now that I'm here, I think 33 is going to be a good year.

Brent and I had splendid date for my birthday. Bonefish Grill. We had THE BEST server ever and some exceptionally good mahi-mahi. Don't worry, we started the whole night off with Bang Bang Shrimp, because really, what other reasons are there for going to Bonefish in the first place?!

We had excellent conversation and we didn't have to get up once during the entire meal for someone to go to the bathroom.

My favorite is just the drive to Bonefish. It's about an hour from here and I love to drive and talk. Back in the day (pre-kids and ridiculous gas prices) we would drive the scenic routes, talking and dreaming.

Our first scenic drive was in Mobile. I was in college and Brent had driven down to take me out on our "first" date. I think our first "date" was a ski trip with his college group from church, but that was pretty much a disaster, so it doesn't count. Anyway, back at the ranch. I was trying to be all suave and show Brent around town. I wanted to take him to the pier in Fairhope. The only directions I knew where to take the exit and all roads that turn right lead to the beach/pier. We started our journey. I'm pretty sure I had my feet propped up on the dashboard of his jeep, trying to keep it calm and cool.

frost on the car windshield

We made it to the Fairhope exit and I told him to take the road labeled: "scenic route". Calm and cool remember?

Well it is safe to say that not all roads lead to the pier, but they do lead to the yacht club. A small parking area and and even smaller beach with driftwood appeared as we drove down the road. We parked and got out. I'm sure we were laughing and my face was red. But Brent was sweet and we walked up and down that strip of sand for 2 hours trying to get to know each other without revealing our too much of our late teenage awkwardness!

I don't remember the way back to the dorm and thus began our love for driving (or walking) and talking.

Anyone else with some wacky first date stories to share??





Comments

Popular Posts