Slugs

Well my post from the other day was really supposed to be about this: slugs.

Ewww. I'm really not a slug person. However it rained that morning and with it a few slugs were found by Elizabeth on our driveway as we left for school. I don't understand it. Elizabeth is NOT a bug person and freaks out when bugs are within touching range. But she got all excited about the slugs. She wanted to keep them! I gave in and gave her a mason jar for the slugs.

Did shivers just run up your spine?!

She scooped up a slug with the jar and I had to put the slug the rest of the way in the jar with the lid. Then she wanted another slug. Fortunately this one was on a weed that I just plucked from the ground and dropped into the jar.

She was excited because she got to bring them to school and show them to her friends. It was teacher appreciation week.  I convinced her to play a joke on her teacher with the slugs. Christi beat us to the punch and laughed really hard when EK gave her the slugs.

After school, Breanna and Elizabeth spent 45 minutes, outside, in the rainy cold, trying to figure out how to water and feed the slugs.

Elizabeth asked if the slugs could sleep in my room. Ha! Sweet, caring child of mine. No. Way.







She planned to keep the slug jar on top of her bed. She had it all planned out. She would water them, feed them, and leave a light on in case they didn't go to sleep.  She's such a little mommy.

I wasn't so excited about this plan. We left the slug jar outside and went to church. It was a late night. When we got home, she immediately wanted to check on the slugs. Brent and I were trying to convince  her that the slugs would be better off out of the jar and in the yard. She cried and cried. Sweet girl wanted so badly to take care of the slugs. We finally managed to show her that the slugs were trying to get out of the jar and that the best way to take care of them was to let them go. I can't remember what really changed her mind.

The night ended with us dumping the slugs and dirt on the back porch and pouring water all over them.
Before bed, we did check on them at least 3 times and Elizabeth was going to get up in the middle of the night and check on them.
Needless to say, I was not sorry to see the slugs go.



Comments

Popular Posts