So, how's it going? - Uganda Edition



Back in June, I wrote a post with the same title. It was how we were doing adjusting back to living in America and what I thought the future looked like for us concerning Uganda - boy I was completely wrong on that part! 

Now we are back in Uganda. North of the Equator instead of South. It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since we arrived in Arua. I suppose that would be 3 weeks and 2 days since we flew out of Atlanta. It feels like we have been here a lot longer than that. 

The first time we moved to Uganda, it took me a bit to get my bearings. Of course, I had never lived out of the country, so that seemed quite normal to me to be a little lost. I walked around in a fog the first 4 - 6 weeks. Thankfully, we were lived with friends for two months. They were super understanding, patient, and helpful to explain life here. 

I thought this time would be a little different, I expected to know what to do and fit right in, but nope. 

Ok. First, let me say that it IS different in the way that we knew what items to buy at the store. We have a few recipes that Brent knows how to cook. It was easy to remember to turn on the hot water before showering. We knew what to expect with traffic and travel. Brent jumped right back into driving here like a pro. I'm SLOWLY easing my way into driving - ok, I've only driven twice and not in town. HA! 

But it IS NOT different in the sense that I think I am still walking around in that same fog. I’m probably sleeping in too much. Cooking/eating is hard. Most must be prepared, so you have to plan ahead. Planning ahead is not my strong suit, at least when it comes to supper.  Although on the upside, maybe I can finally lose 20 pounds. (Yes, Mom, I am eating. It's just the same few things everyday. ha!) 

It’s taking longer than I would have like to get settled in. “Slowly by slowly”, as they say here. I come from a world of “fast and faster”. Quite the opposite of slow. 

We still need a few furniture items, some baskets and things for organizing, maybe some shelves on the wall. We - ok - Brent is figuring out the layout of town and the best way to get around. 

Homeschool is blowing my mind. And not in the amazing way.  It’s tricky. The curriculum I chose uses older books. I thought I had done enough research to know that these books could be downloaded FREE with a Kindle subscription. Well we got Kindle subscription set up, but the books we need aren’t free and some books are not even on Kindle. That’s just the beginning. These things always flow so much smoother in my head. I am worried about the girls education. The girls are actually worried about their education. 

We are getting to know the dozens of missionaries from organizations all over the world that are based here. By that I mean, usually short introductory conversations at Borderlands coffee shop. We haven't had time to sit down with anyone other families than our team just yet. Hopefully, we will be able to make friends with more of them. Everyone seems so perfect and always gets it right. I get caught in the dangerous comparison spiral in my mind.

We totally fit in with our fellow family mentors. We love them. They are wonderful. I am excited to get to work with them and be friends and get to know them better! 

We are also getting to know the students in our compound. They are really great guys. I am so glad we get to be here with them! All but one are in Kampala this week for different reasons. It’s been too quiet around here.

I guess all of that doesn’t sound like much. But really it is a lot at once. Even considering all those things, we are doing well. But judging by the way I didn’t think about my words or my tone yesterday, I realized I am a lot more stressed than I knew. The girls have their own stresses and adjustments and I’m sure Brent does too. He handles life better than I do. I mean even thought I love it, sometimes writing this blog is stressful! 

I read a devotional this morning from a friend. It was on Colossians 4:6: “Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt.” I should have remembered that yesterday. I know that verse, but not well enough! 

I saved the devotional so I can read it tomorrow morning. I will probably needed it everyday until this fog settles and the stresses are under control. And then I’ll still need it everyday just because my mouth gets me in trouble. 

So, that’s how it’s (really) going. Some stress and a whole lot of change. I mean it’s fall in North America, right? When all the cute memes, phrases, and wall decor tell us to “let it go”, “change is beautiful”, etc. Positive (possibly rose-colored glasses) thinking. 

Reality thinking: change is hard. It can also be fun, but hard. Thankfully, the Bible doesn’t gloss over the hard things in life. Instead, God went straight to the heart when He included the stories of Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Rahab, Nehemiah, Esther, Paul, His own life for us to relate and find encouragement (also conviction) by reading them over and over. 

Thankfully, God is patient. His speech is always full of Grace, seasoned with salt. He is always wanting us to abide with Him. 

I clearly haven’t been abiding well, so thankfully, He is a God of second chances and gives us the chance to start over - a million times over. His mercies are new every morning. 


Thanks for listening. I’ll post again soon. 

Love, MC 

Comments

Pawpaw said…
Love you hang in there it will pass
Janet said…
I truly know your feeling, but God is
always faithful and He will show you the way. Keep moving forward, don't look back and Keep the faith. Sending prayers of peace to you now and always.

Popular Posts