It's Okay, Theatre, and Another Blogger to Read

Have you read this blog, It's Almost Naptime! ? I finally read it. Curosity won. My sister-in-law told me a recent paragraph in a post reminded her of us. After a few days of tossing the thought back and forth in my head, I finally cracked down read it. 

I loved it. She is funny and honest.

I loved her post about Day 3

I loved her thoughts about "Gotcha Day"
She describes adoption as "beautiful, theological, redemptive, messy, painful, terrifying"
Can you get any more honest than that??

Just to give you a taste, here's an excerpt:
"They call it Gotcha Day. And I do love that, I do. As an adopted kid myself, I actually think that's super cool, to celebrate the day we finally, finally, GOTCHA in our arms. Cute, huh?Ohmyskull. If only adoption weren't so freaking complicated. If only GOTCHA didn't mean TOOKYA from all you knew while you were SCREAMING and TERRIFIED and there was no way to convey to you that THIS WAS A GOOD THING, WE PROMISE, REALLY, IT IS, even though GOTCHA seems like a word applying to the Boogy Man, not two parents who have loved you and prayed for you and worked really hard to bring you out of an orphanage and into their family."


But my absolute favorite post was Bucking Up.  Oh wow. I wish I would have read this sucker 12 years ago! You know when you're in the middle of college, making major decisions, just coming off that 18-year-old-know-it-all stage and the world has trained you that you deserve the best life has to offer.....now.  And you're now faced with the task of making life decisions. Have mercy!

In this post, she talks about not being the best right now. You have to go through the tough, the hard, the ugly with a few chocolate covered cherries along the way to get to be the "best". Mature.

That was me, wanting to be the best at everything, but not going through anything to get there.

I apologized to my theatre professor in a note a few months after I graduated. Have you ever apologized to a professor? Anyway, I always thought she was too strict, demanded too much I mean seriously we weren't on Broadway, so was it really necesaary for me to stay up till 3:00 in the morning sewing on a button! For crying out loud! it wasn't that I was disrepectful to her face, but my feelings probably showed through me at some point.
Slowly (anyone else a slow learner?) I realized that she was teaching excellence. It didn't matter that we weren't on Broadway. We (I) needed to learn to do everything I did with excellence, to the best of my ability, for the glory of God.

Here are a two little known secrets about my theatre years:
1. I was terrible
2. My blue Birkenstock sandals made an appearance on stage during a performance

What a riot the theatre days were!!

I love that It's Almost Naptime writer says that she didn't know what to do during a certain time after arriving home with their adopted child. About 2 weeks after we returned home from Peru, it was bad day. My mom was over at the house. She told me to go take a nap, she even pulled my covers up for me, telling me that things would be okay again. I told her, with tears streaming, that nothing would ever be okay again.

Well she was right. Things are okay. Maybe it took 21 months to get here. And it's a completely and totally different okay than I ever thought okay would be okay for me. But it's okay. Are you confused? Me too.

Choosing Manna. I have to remember that, I forgot to remember that February. Maybe I will in March!

Here is today's joy dare challenge:

3 Gifts Found:

1. Time do my quiet time
2. Time with Breanna while cooking dinner
3. A family night watching a movie

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4


"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31





Comments

Popular Posts