Halloween 2013

Remember when I bought a sewing machine?? 

Well that was last October. I finally pulled it out in May and started making an apron for Breanna.

I finished it in July.

That should have been my first clue. But nope, I got the "brilliant" idea that I could make the kids Halloween costumes this year. (darn you, Pinterest) Cheaper right? Well the fabric was cheaper, but probably more of a headache than wading through the costumes in Walmart.

Elizabeth went as Lilo. She has a stuffed Stitch and I found some Hawaiian looking fabric and sewed up in pillowcase dress in about 2 hours. Note: most people can do this in 30 minutes or less probably. Then I made another one because it was little tight and a little short. The second one was just as short and the armholes were whompy. Here is the blog where I found the pillowcase pattern:  CLICK HERE



Now Breanna. She went as Merida. Ok, her costume was the same color as Merida's dress. I thought I would do the same and make a pillowcase dress for her and it would work. Then I found this blog. What a great idea. Such a cute dress. There are step by step direction and pictures! Anything with pictures is a lot easier, right?? Let's just say, I thought the gathering stitch would be worse than it was, but it was the sleeves that did me in. In the end, I ripped the whole bodice apart and improvised straps for Breanna's dress. I added cord around the top. The cord made the whole thing tighter and she couldn't even get the dress on! Why don't they tell you these things?!! So 10 minutes before we left for Halloween festival, I ripped the cord off. One strap kept falling down and the other one was sewed on crooked.  Her dress worked better as a skirt or perhaps as scrap material for dusting.



Ben, poor kid, I didn't even get him a costume.  Apparently, I can only focus on one costume at a time.
He managed to have a good attitude about it though.

Everything turned out fine. The costumes made it through the night and didn't fall apart, there wasn't a contest, and Southern Living didn't show up to a story on my costume making abilities. Life goes on.

On the bright side, even though Breanna's costume was a bit of a flop, I actually enjoyed sewing them.

We also had superhero night at our house the Tuesday before Halloween. Chick-fil-a was having a superhero night and Elizabeth was pretty sure it was mandatory to go to superhero night. She even told me that you could not wear princess dresses, but if you didn't have a mask, then Chick-fil-a would help you make one. She is so funny.

Anyways, back to superhero night. I decorated and even hung balloon bad guys from the ceiling fan for  fighting. The kids had a pretty good time with it. Except Ben, he has had a hard week and wasn't really up for participating.








Peace out Peeps.
Perhaps I will write again soon.

Comments

Popular Posts