Lent and a YouTube video

Preface: What You Should Know Before Reading My Original Post
*You should know that I have been thinking about Lent for a few weeks. I hadn't really decided what to fast from until I heard about this on the radio one day.

*You also should know that I feel really weird about telling what I am doing for Lent. I tend to view fasting as a personal, spiritual experience and not something you broadcast to world. You know, because if you broadcast it to the world then maybe you are doing it more to show off yourself than for the spiritual purpose that it really needs to be.

*You should know, however, I think the greater purpose here (for me) is to bring clean water to people in Zambia so they can live healthier lives. I'm mean it's exciting. The more people who join in Blood Water Mission's Lent challenge, then the more money can be provided to more people. It's very simple to join in a cause when the timing is right and the timing just so happened to be right. It can also be more fun and motivating when you are participating with a team of people to keep you accountable and encouraged.

Alright, I think that's all you should know. Now you may continue with my original post.

It's almost here.  Lent.  According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary lent is:

"a period of 40 days before Easter during which many Christians do not eat certain foods or do certain pleasurable activities as a way of remembering the suffering of Jesus Christ"  

                                                                      OR

"the 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter observed by the Roman Catholic, Eastern, and some Protestant churches as a period of penitence and fasting"

(This year the dates for Lent are March 5 - April 17.)

Around a week ago my Friday Confessional status was that I was addicted to Dr. Pepper.
It all started when I swung through the McDonald's drive- thru and got a bacon, egg, and cheese McGriddle and the Dr. Pepper.  I know those things are about a 1000 calories. But they are so GOOD! Skinny doesn't even taste that good. Trust me, I can prove it! February proved to be a weird month, full of early appointments and breakfast-less mornings. I kept swinging throught the drive-thru and getting the Dr. Pepper. It just happened. Then Brent bought a 12 pack and put in our fridge. Have mercy. I hid them from the kids. You will never make me feel guilty either. Ha!

I justify it like this: there are those of you who drink coffee everyday, so maybe I drink a Dr. Pepper. Caffeine. Wake-up juice. It's all the same.

Well apparently, there was a need for intervention! This brings me to the Wally Show

I love the Wally Show. (This is the site.) You really gotta listen to the morning show. 5am-9am.
It'll crank your tractor! (They also have a Facebook page and you can listen to their podcast by downloading their radio app or on iHeart Radio.)

Yeah. Moving on! A few days ago, there was an advertisement for Blood Water Mission during the morning program. As soon as I heard it, I knew I wanted to jump on board.

It's so simple. Give up your drink of choice for 40 days and take the money you would have paid for the drink each day (or every other day) and set it aside. Next, around April 19 send it in to Blood Water Mission and provide clean water for Zambia!

Please click on the links above and do some research for yourself. Click here to learn more about Save A Drink or you can watch this video!


So! It is time for action. Do you want to join me on this adventure? You can join the team or go solo. (all red solo cups aside).

If you do want to be on the team, comment on this post or send me a Facebook message or a quick text.
Let me know by Tuesday!

Oh and if you only drink water (like we all should), then just decide on an amount you want to give and you can still lump it in with us at the end. You can always abstain from something else that needs a break in your life. No biggie. Whatever works for you.

Hope to see you on the team!



P.S.  I have never attached so many links to one post! You don't have to click on them all, unless you really want to and that will take about an hour.



Comments

Popular Posts