Article

A long time ago, I worked at the Cove Camp in Asheville, NC. Thankfully it was for only part of a summer. It was a very unenjoyable experience. Brent drove me to the training week. I was pretty nervous. I wasn't sure how to be a camp "counselor". I was driving (which makes me feel like I have some level of control! ha!) and a billboard appeared in the mountains. It said, Tell the kids I love them. -God. It was a good reminder that my job that summer was to show God's love to the kids.

Here an excerpt from an article on John Piper's website that appeared on a few of my friends facebook pages:

"If you grew up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood, to think like a free Christian woman about your life, your children. How much have we listened to partial truths and half lies? Do we believe that we want children because there is some biological urge, or the phantom “baby itch”? Are we really in this because of cute little clothes and photo opportunities? Is motherhood a rock-bottom job for those who can’t do more, or those who are satisfied with drudgery? If so, what were we thinking?" .........................
"But a Christian should have a different paradigm. We should run to to the cross. To death. So lay down your hopes. Lay down your future. Lay down your petty annoyances. Lay down your desire to be recognized. Lay down your fussiness at your children. Lay down your perfectly clean house. Lay down your grievances about the life you are living. Lay down the imaginary life you could have had by yourself. Let it go."

Click Motherhood is Calling to view the whole article.

Comments

Marianne said…
Im just gonna go ahead and say in case anyone leaves a comment that this is much easier said than accomplished!!
Donna G said…
Marianne,
I have been thinking of you a lot lately. I am so happy and proud for you and Brent and this amazing step you have taken. I am also refreshed by your honesty of how hard this all really is. I had nights of sitting in the yard and throwing rocks when I only had one baby... Taking in three at once that knows you are not the only way...that is tough!!

Anyway, looks like you are all settling in. Would love to see you sometime! You could bring the kids over to swim or something.

Love you!

Popular Posts